What is SHARP?
Student Health Alliance for Rural Populations (SHARP) is the University of Wollongong Rural Health Club. We are a student-run club united by one common interest – rural, remote and Indigenous health. Our members come from all different backgrounds including medicine, nursing and allied health.
We are all about providing fantastic events and opportunities for health and medical students. Our activities range from rural high school visits, Indigenous festivals, rural road trips, social activities, and guest speaker nights – not to mention financial support for conferences and plenty of scholarship information. There are so many great things SHARP does that we have been named UoW’s Clubs and Societies “Club of the Year” in 2009, 2010 AND 2011!
As one of the 29 Rural Health Clubs of the National Rural Health Students’ Network (NRHSN), SHARP members are not only able to join in on local Rural Health Club events, but are also eligible to attend national activities and events run by other Rural Health Clubs.
Whether you are from the city or country, we hope SHARP can give you many reasons to go rural, and stay rural!
- Serve and represent the general interests of SHARP members in promoting rural and remote health
- Encourage rural and remote school students to study health at University
- Promote early and positive rural experiences to all members
- Generate members’ interest and enthusiasm for contributing to the health workforce and furthering health outcomes for rural and remote Australia
- Provide members with rural health-related opportunities which support their personal and professional development, such as networking with health and medical students from other NRHSN Rural Health Clubs
- Generate exposure for rural health issues and NRHSN activities
If you want
to keep up to date with the latest events SHARP are offering, follow the link
Events - http://www.uow.edu.au/health/sharp/whatscomingup/index.html
Sharna Kulhavy – Medical Representative
students, you are more than welcome to talk to me about any issues/ideas you
have regarding SHARP and I will be sure to pass these on to the Executive team.
I am here to inform you about all that SHARP has to offer and endeavour to get you
involved in all things rural.
I also aim to foster a strong relationship between WUMSS, all medical cohorts and SHARP so that we can be united in advocating and raising awareness for rural health and medicine.
Kay Kent – Administrator (email@example.com)
Nick Corr and Blake Milton – Co-Presidents
Adriana Suker – Secretary
For a complete list, please refer to the SHARP website. If you are interested in going for a position on the SHARP executive, nominations are open around February/March.
So if you like the sound of SHARP or are just super keen to be a rural advocate, below are all the contact details you need to start your time with us!
Membership link: http://www.uow.edu.au/health/sharp/UOW041070.html
... or feel free to email the Executive members :)