WUMSS Executive, GSM
The 2015 WUMSS President will represent, inform and support UoW medical students throughout their studies, both academically and socially through the management of the medical student society.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Provide direction and support to the WUMSS executive and committee, both as part of a team and individually by:
- Informing and supporting committee members in their individual roles, and having an understanding of their deadlines
- Write reports for, and attend GSM Faculty Education Committee, GSM Executive Committee, and Curriculum Committee meetings. Ensure each of the phase representatives are writing reports for and attending the phase 1, phase 2, phase 3 and phase 4 committee meetings.
- Attend the three AMSA councils with the AMSA representative. Advocate for Wollongong students by voting on policies that are likely to affect us, or that the ‘AMSA think tank’ thought was relevant to us.
- Meet with the GSM Curriculum Manager (Jodie Douglas), regularly to discuss any issues that may arise within WUMSS, or with students. Also to be the main line of communication with the Curriculum Manager to keep the GSM informed on WUMSS activities and student issues.
- Be prepared to meet with the Dean and Phase Chairs as needed.
- Ensure the long-term financial and legal sustainability of WUMSS.
- Support the members of the WUMSS committee and executive by ensuring WUMSS events are run appropriately, fiscally and safely throughout the year
- Mentor the incoming president regarding their roles and responsibilities during the official handover period at the end of the year;
- Represent WUMSS and UoW medical students at GSM and University events and meetings;
- Be the main point of contact for students, GSM staff, AMSA executive, WUMSS committee and the general public.
The President must have proficient knowledge in the following:
- The aims and vision of WUMSS;
- The WUMSS Constitution; and,
- The roles of each committee member.
The President must demonstrate the following skills:
- Team building;
- Analytical and problem solving skills;
- Decision making skills;
- Ability to communicate effective, both verbally and non-verbally;
- Stress management skills; and,
- Time management skills, and the ability to meet schedules and deadlines.
The President must maintain strict confidentiality in performing their duties, as well as demonstrate the following attributes:
- Be honest and trustworthy;
- Be respectful;
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity;
- Be flexible; and,
- Demonstrate sound work ethic
For enquiries please contact the WUMSS President email@example.com